We know you are missing Thailand and all the delicious Thai food. Stay tuned for our new series “Amazing Thai Taste @ Home” where you can learn how to cook simple authentic Thai dishes from a professional Thai cook!
Tom Yum Goong
Live now – Learn how to make Tom Yum Goong from Chef Max and win Cold Storage vouchers.
Posted by AroiMakMak on Saturday, April 18, 2020
Ingredients for 2/3 pax:
- Prawn shells and heads – 300g
- Water – 2l
- Cooking oil
1. Heat up your pot
2. Sauteed your prawn shells and heads until nicely browned.
3. Pour in water to deglaze, scrape bottom of pot and let stock cook for at least 15mins to 20mins.
4. Skim off any foams floating at the top and strain the stock.
5. Reserve the prawn stock.
- Lemongrass – 4 stalks
- Galangal – 1 inch size
- Kaffir lime leaves – 10pcs
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Shallots – 10 pcs
- Coriander root – 1 pc
- Bird’s eye chili- 4 to 10 pcs (to taste)
- Cherry tomatos – 10 to 15 pcs
- Mushrooms – 300g
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Fish Sauce – 5 to 8 tbsp (to taste)
- Prawns – 500g, head on and devined
- Lime juice – 3 to 5 tbsp (to taste)
- Fish Sauce – a touch
- Bird’s eye chili – 3 to 5 pcs (to taste)
- Sawtooth coriander – 1 handful
- Coriander – 1 handful
- Galangal powder – 1 pinch (optional)
- Roasted dried chili – 3 to 5 pcs (optional)
- Thai chilli paste (nam prik pao) – 3 tbps
- Evaporated milk – 10 tbsp
Extra fish sauce and lime juice may be needed as the chili paste and milk tones down the souriness and saltiness.
1. Prepare all your aromatics. Smash lemongrass and crush. Tear kaffir lime leaves. Slice galangal. Bruise the shallots, garlic and bird’s eye chili.
2. Heat up your stock into a simmer.
3. Put in all the aromatics, the lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, shallots, garlic, coriander root and salt.
4. Let it cook for 3-5mins over high heat.
5. Add in the mushrooms and tomatoes. Let it cook for 1-2mins until cooked.
6. Prepare *serving bowls.
7. Add in prawns now and season with fish sauce. Do not overcook your prawns. (go straight to step 11 if you are making the clear version.)
For creamy version
8. Add in chili paste and evaporated milk. Stir in well to dissolve the chili paste.
9. Taste and reseason if needed.
10. Continue stirring and let it cook for 1 min.
11. Pour in *serving bowl.
12. Season if needed.